Once you’ve invested in a luxury watch, you’ll want to make sure that you take good care of it so that it lasts as long as possible. Many people invest in a luxury watch so that they can hand it down to future generations. Follow these tips and you will be able to do just that.
- Be careful that your watch doesn’t get damaged by water. Check the specification on water-resistance and abide by it.
- Don’t use perfumes or lotions near the watch area of your wrist as they could damage or erode your watch.
- Never wear your watch in salt water unless it’s specifically designed to withstand those conditions.
- Take care not to get water or condensation inside your watch face. If it happens, consult a luxury watch specialist straight away to limit the damage.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning your watch carefully. A soft cloth is usually enough, although rubber straps can be cleaned with warm soapy water.
- Be careful not to get leather straps wet as water could cause discolouration. Cases and bracelets can usually be refinished by a luxury watch expert to look as good as new.
- Don’t wear watches that require automatic or manual winding for energetic activities like sport as jerky movements can damage the watch.
- Have your watch serviced every three to five years to keep it in top condition. Only use accredited service centres.
- If you’re sweating heavily through exercise or heat, protect your watch. If excess perspiration is reaching your watch, wipe it off as soon as you can.
Do you have any tips on taking care of a luxury watch?
[Image used under Creative Commons Licence from jonboy mitchell]