Last year, Swiss luxury goods manufacturer Montblanc launched their “What Moves You, Makes You campaign”, a campaign dedicated to inspiring individuals to express their true potential by doing exactly what moves and motivates them. The promotion continues into 2021 with two new “Mark Makers”, actor Cillian Murphy and DJ Peggy Gou, and a monochromatic selection of leather goods, writing instruments and luxury watches nicknamed the Montblanc Ultra Black Series.
Black has a bad reputation; it’s been too long associated with dark, gloomy atmospheres and uninteresting colour palettes. Instead, Montblanc believes the colour black to be a classic, and rightly so, since it’s been one of the only two colours in the company’s emblem since it was created in 1913. Black watch dials are certainly a timeless colourway in the horological industry too. For the first time, Montblanc is introducing a complete cross-category collection united by an all-black design theme which see’s a gorgeous range of Montblanc Ultra Black Series watches, pens, augmented paper, headphones and leather goods come together.
“The colour black plays a big part in our Maison’s essence, and is core to the brand’s identity, even as it evolved over the years to become the Maison of Luxury Business Lifestyle. The pieces and their functionality, while unified by their black design, were carefully selected based on the everyday needs and mindset of those who don’t just strive to succeed, but who leave a mark with everything they do, always with meaning and purpose. Montblanc UltraBlack collection offers smart wearable technology for enhanced connectivity, leather pieces for seamless mobility, writing instruments for bold ideas and creativity, watches for audacious elegance,” says Nicolas Baretzki, Montblanc CEO.
The Montblanc Ultra Black Leather collection is represented by a backpack, clutch and mini folio each characterised by the original M geometric pattern imprinted onto the black leather. The classic black Montblanc star emblem also features on the leather items such as on playful aluminium clasps and detachable shoulder straps. Montblanc UltraBlack Series is also home to some of the brand’s most legendary accessories, writing instruments including an UltraBlack Star Walker Precious Resin edition and a Doué edition. Each edition is available as a Fountain Pen, Ballpoint and Fineliner Pen. Suitably paired with ambassador DJ Peggy Gou, the collection also includes a pair of Montblanc UltraBlack Over-Ear Headphones and for modern-day notetakers, there’s a new design for the Montblanc Augmented Paper.
Of course, here at Horologii we are most excited by the two new watches: the Montblanc 1858 Geosphere Ultra Black and Montblanc Summit Lite Ultra Black. We will be doing two individual reviews on these models separately, so keep your eyes peeled for them, but for now, here’s a quick rundown of their specs.
Montblanc 1858 Geosphere Ultra Black Watch
- Case Size: 42mm
- Case Material: Distressed stainless steel
- Bezel: Bi-directional with black ceramic insert
- Glass: Domed sapphire crystal with double anti-reflective treatment
- Water Resistance: 100 metres
- Movement: MB 29.25 automatic winding
- Functions: Worldtime with turning northern and southern hemisphere globes, 24-hour scale and day/night indication, dual time indication, date, hours and minutes
- Power Reserve: 42 hours
- Dial: Black with white Superluminova markings
- Strap: Black calfskin leather
- RRP: £5,600
- Limited Edition: 858 pieces
Montblanc Summit Lite Ultra Black Smartwatch
- Case Size: 43mm
- Case Material: Black stainless steel
- Bezel: Fixed
- Glass: 1.2″ full circle AMOLED
- Water Resistance: 50 metres
- Operative System: Wear OS by Google with Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 3100 processor
- Functions: Heart rate, Microphone, Barometer, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Ambient light, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS, NFC payment, additional health, travel and fitness applications
- Dial: Customisable touchscreen with UltraBlack “M” pattern
- Strap: Black calfskin leather with “M” embossing
- RRP: £770
- Limited Edition: No